Bebington and Bromborough

The name Bebington is of Anglo-Saxon origin meaning a farm belonging to a tribe called Bebing (or possibly Bebba).

Great Bebington (now known as Lower Bebington) was owned by the Lancelyn family by the end of the eleventh century and Little (or Higher) Bebington was owned by Robert de Bebington.

As stage coach traffic between Birkenhead and Chester increased, the populations, first of Higher Bebington and later of Lower Bebington began to increase. In 1921 both were merged with Bromborough to be known as The Bebington and Bromborough Urban District. In 1933, the boundaries were again extended to take in a further ten villages and became known by the shorter Urban District of Bebington.

Historically, Lower Bebington could be considered more important as it lay on the road (and, later, the railway) between Birkenhead and Chester. The parish church was there and, later, the Town hall and civic centre.

There are several theories about the origins of the name Bromborough. One suggests that it derives from Brunburgh - a Saxon name meaning a fortress belonging to Brun, a dark-haired man. Another theory suggests that it is of Norse origin and Brom comes from brunner meaning wells or springs.

As Bromborough has grown, and particularly in the years immediately before and after the First World War, almost all traces of ancient Bromborough were destroyed in what many now see as an orgy of destruction. One of the few things that remains is Bromborough Cross [Photograph] though even this is not completely the original.... Edward I granted a charter for a market to be held each Monday and its location beneath a cross was in the hope that it would promote honest dealing. Today, the steps of the cross are the original 13th century but the cross is only a few years old having been presented as a gift by The Bromborough Society.

.To the Northmost edge of Bromborough is Spital. The name is assumed to be derived from a house of hospitality founded by William Lancelyn in 1170 - one of Britain's oldest families and the Lord of the Manor of Lower Bebington. The Lancelyn family have lived here continuously for over 900 years, with Scirard, the son ofRoger Lancelyn Green, still living in the 17th century home - Poulton Hall.

[ Back | Wirral Index | Main Homepage ]