The original church at Eastham, dedicated to St. Mary, was built about 1150 but only the tower of the original building remains, the church having been rebuilt in 1574.
In 1816, the Princess Charlotte was the first steam powered ship to use Eastham Ferry - previous ferry boats were sailing boats. Because of tidal changes and the resulting silting, a number of different landing points were used over the years. An iron pier was built in 1874.
The ferry finally closed in 1928 and the pier demolished in 1935 but a short length has been rebuilt with sandstone blocks and gives a good view of ships passing into the Manchester Ship Canal and of aircraft landing at Liverpool Airport two miles away across the River Mersey.
Ship's captains would spend the night at the Ferry Hotel whilst waiting for the tide and for their turn into the Manchester Ship Canal. It was built by Sir William Stanley in 1845.
Although originally just a farmhouse, in 1814 it became a master's home for the school which was built in an adjacent barn. When a new school opened in 1852, the master's home became the Hooton Arms..
|An example of the wood scuptures in Eastham Country Park (external link)|